There is always something that you can be doing. Everyone has a path to something. — John Featherby
In today’s episode we talk about the transition to a more sustainable world, the impact of an organization’s decisions on its workers, customers, business partners, community, and the environment as a whole with John Featherby.
John is the owner of Shoremount, a consulting firm that helps organizations meet the opportunity and challenge of a marketplace that rewards better business. He’s the B leader for the B Corp, the world’s leading business force for good movement.
He’s the author of the Guide to Human Organizations and the founder of Teylu, a network using the power of peer to peer small groups to cultivate community and pursue a common purpose, as well as Human Stories At Work, a place to engage with the ultimate cultural barometer of life at work, storytelling.
John shares about the work that he does with Shoremount to pursue positive change; through self-exploration, community connection, and practical support.
In this episode you will learn:
- The transition to a more sustainable world
- Change: Who you are and what you hope to become
- The journey between where we are and where we are going
- What it means to change and create a “sustainable world”
- Becoming a sustainable human being
- John’s perspective on death, loss, pain, and suffering
- The death analogy
- Recognising change and creating a behaviour for it
- The risk of looking at positive data when you’re using it to persuade someone
- The benefits of talking about loss
- Reasons why change is hard for big companies
- Addressing the fatigue that comes from change
- The disconnection of meaning from our roles in the workplace
- Doing self-exploration for change to start
- The problem with language impairment
- Recognizing others for their innate individual gifts
- Giving others space for better and honest conversations
- Being and doing
- Deeper human peace
- How John’s upbringing impacted the work he is doing
Recognize the power that you have to make small differences and decisions. Speak up about the change that you want to happen.
More about John Featherby
John Featherby is the owner of Shoremount, a consulting firm that helps organisations meet the opportunity and challenge of a marketplace that rewards response, “better” business.
John is also a B Leader for the B Corporation (the world’s leading “business as a force for good” movement. Shoremount is a founding UK B Corp and was awarded “Changemaker Honoree” in the B Corp 2018, “Best of the World Lists”.
He’s also the author of The Guide to Human Organisations, the founder of Human Stories at Work: a place to engage with the ultimate cultural barometer of life at work: storytelling and the founder of Teylu: a network using the power of peer-to-peer small groups to cultivate community and pursue a common purpose.