Sustainable businesses create a sustainable world.
We measure what’s important to us as an organisation.
This helps us to alway improve and increase our impact.
What we already do as a small firm:
- We host our website on 300% renewable energy through GreenGeeks.
- We lead by example: every time we work with a client we give back to the Earth through our lifetime partnership with B1G1.
- We use online technology as much as possible to minimise the use of paper and travel when working within our team and with our clients.
- We work from home to eliminate travelling time to the office along with the costs – both financially and environmentally – of maintaining an office.
- We consider the sustainability credentials of all our service providers.
- We seek to develop partnerships with local networks promoting sustainability.
- We look at ways to work with other organisations who have a shared interest in sustainability.
- We only work with clients whose work helps contribute to/who want to create a more sustainable world.
- We actively encourage all team members and clients to offer ideas on how we as an organisation can become more sustainable – and more nature centred – by regularly seeking feedback.
To continue our sustainable – and nature-connected – development we have created the following strategic plan for 2018-2022.
Use social media to promote our company mission and values and encourage more organisations to become sustainable – and subsequently nature-centred
EarthSelf believes that social media is the most effective way to create, share and communicate ideas with millions of people around the world.
- Encourage sustainable business practices and share knowledge and best practices through our weekly podcast, Sustainable: The Podcast
- Continue to develop a comprehensive social media strategy to promote the business practices and knowledge shared in the weekly podcast
Create 20,000 positive impacts through our lifetime partnership with B1G1 each year
B1G1 is a social enterprise and non-profit organisation whose mission is to create a world that’s full of giving.
It does this by encouraging small and medium sized business to achieve more social impact by embedding giving activities into their everyday business operations.
- Ensure that EarthSelf embeds giving into our organisation in a way that works for us – and monitor and measure this
- Create a communication brief for all our clients on our lifetime partnership with B1G1 and why it’s important by September 2018
- Communicate status of giving impact at monthly team meetings
- Increase our yearly giving impacts each year by 20%
Achieve certified B corporation status by 2020
B corporations are companies that use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
They are required to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
To achieve full certification companies are required to assess their policies and practices over the past year against the B Impact Assessment and achieve a minimum verified score of 80 out of 200.
Currently, EarthSelf has scored 40 out of 80 and is working to improve our score.
- Implement changes and re-assess our B Impact Assessment in October 2018
- Ensure we meet appropriate B corporation standards and apply for B corporation certification in October 2019
Establish EarthSelf foundation by 2022
As humans we are deeply connected to the earth and its ecosystem, yet for many of us we are disconnected from nature. We are disconnected both from the natural world around us and disconnected from our own inner nature. We have forgotten who we are. This disconnection has caused a state of ill-being both within humanity and the earth’s ecosystem.
We need to become nature connected and create harmony between humanity and nature – both inner and outer. At EarthSelf we believe that connecting to our own inner nature with the support of the natural world is the key to achieving an optimal level of well-being and performance – both for humanity and the Earth. We want to partner with other organisations to support research in this area, develop community programs and build retreat centres in rural areas to provide employment for those 30% of people who won’t live in cities in the future so that they become the Earth’s caretakers.
- Fully define vision of EarthSelf Foundation by December 2018
- Work on getting all necessary legal structures in place for foundation by December 2019
- Develop strategy to create awareness of foundation and prepare for its launch in 2020
- Launch foundation 2022
Communicate this sustainability policy and progress towards these goals in an annual sustainability update
This helps us keep our stakeholders up-to-date on our progress and helps us monitor our objectives to ensure we meet them.
- Monitor and Review progress in January of each year
- Publish a sustainability update and communicate this with the relevant stakeholders by April